Upper Iowa University
Student Center
Fayette, IA 52142
+1 (563) 425-5831
Program Search
Program Type:
Program Country:
Program Term:

Country Specific Info.

The United States State Department produces Consular Information Sheets with health, safety and other country information for every country in the world. They are one good source of information, though you should look at multiple sources of information and take your own personal situation into account when selecting a country to study in.

The latest Consular Information Sheet for Mexico is below. We do not take responsibility for this information or edit it in any way. You can access the State Department travel site directly at: https://travel.state.gov/travel/

November 22, 2017

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Mexico City
Paseo de la Reforma 305
Colonia Cuauhtemoc
06500 Mexico, D.F.
Telephone: 011-52-55-5080-2000
Emergency Telephone: 01-55-5080-2000, extension 0
Fax: 011-52-55-5080-2201
Facebook , Twitter

U.S. Consulate General Ciudad Juarez
Paseo de la Victoria #3650
Fracc. Partido Senecú
Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, Mexico
Telephone: (011) (52) (656) 227-3000
Emergency Telephone: (656) 215-0725 (If calling from a Ciudad Juarez phone dial 044 before the number. From other parts in Mexico dial 045 before the number. From the U.S. dial 011- 521 before the number.)
Facebook , Twitter

U.S. Consulate General Guadalajara
Progreso 175
Col. Americana
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Telephone: (01-33 ) 3268-2100 (from Mexico) / 011-52-33-3268-2100 (from U.S.)
Emergency Telephone: (01-33) 3268-2145 (from Mexico) / 011-52-33-3268-2145 (from U.S)
Fax: (01-33 ) 3826-6549 (from Mexico) / 011-52-33-3826-6549 (from U.S.)
Facebook , Twitter

U.S. Consulate General Hermosillo
Monterrey #141 entre las calles
Rosales y Galeana
Col. Esqueda, C.P. 83000
Hermosillo, Sonora, México
Telephone: 01-662-289-3500 (from Mexico) / 011-52-662-289-3500 (from U.S.)
Emergency Telephone: 044-662-256-0741 (local calls) / 045-662-256-0741 (within Mexico) / +52-1-662-256-0741 (international)

U.S. Consulate General Matamoros
Calle Primera #2002
Colonia Jardín
Matamoros, Tamaulipas
México 87330
Telephone: 011-52-(868)-812-4402
Emergency Telephone: 044-(868)-818-1507 (within Matamoros) / 045-(868)-818-1507 (outside Matamoros) / 011-52-1-(868)-818-1507 (from U.S.)
Fax: 011-52-(868)-812-2171
Facebook , Twitter

U.S. Consulate General Merida
Calle 60 No. 338-K x 29 y 31
Col. Alcala Martin
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico 97050
Telephone: From the U.S. 011-52-999-942-5700 / within Mexico 01-999-942-5700 / within Merida 942-5700
Emergency Telephone: 011-52-999-942-5700 (from the U.S.) / 01-999-942-5700 (within Mexico) / 942-5700 (within Merida)
Fax: 011-52-999-942-5758 (from the U.S.)
The Consulate in Merida provides consular services for the three Mexican states of Yucatan, Quintana Roo and Campeche.

U.S. Consulate General Monterrey
Ave. Constitución 411 Pte.
Monterrey, Nuevo León. México 64000
Telephone: (81) 8047-3100
Emergency Telephone: (81)8362-9126 (from Mexico) / 011-52-1-81-8362-9126 (from the U.S.)
Fax: (81) 8342-5433
Facebook , Twitter

U.S. Consulate General Nogales
Calle San José s/n
Fraccionamiento los Alamos
C. P. 84065 Nogales, Sonora.
Telephone: (52)-(631)-311-8150
Emergency Telephone: (521)-(631)-318-0723
Fax: (52)-(631)-313-4652

U.S. Consulate General Nuevo Laredo
Calle Allende 3330, Col. Jardin
Nuevo Laredo, Mexico
Telephone: From Mexico: (867) 714-0512, ext. 3128 (If calling from the U.S., dial 01152 before the number)
Emergency Telephone: 044-867-727-2797
Fax: (867) 714-0512, ext. 3197 (from Mexico) / 011-52-867-714-0512, ext. 3197 (from U.S.)

U.S. Consulate Tijuana
Paseo de las Culturas s/n
Mesa de Otay
Delegación Centenario C.P. 22425
Tijuana, Baja California
Telephone: (664) 977-2000 (Dialing from the U.S. 011-52 + phone number)
Emergency Telephone: 001 (619) 692-2154 (from Mexico) / (619) 692-2154 (from the U.S.)

U.S. Consular Agent - Acapulco
Hotel Continental Emporio
Costera M. Alemán 121 - Office 14
Acapulco, Gro. 39670
Telephone: (011)(52)(744) 481-0100 or (011)(52)(744) 484-0300
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.
Fax: (52) (744) 484-0300

U.S. Consular Agent -
Las Tiendas de Palmilla L-B221
Km. 27.5 Carretera Transpeninsular
San José del Cabo, B.C.S. 23406
Telephone: (624) 143-3566
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana.
Fax: (624) 143-6750
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.

U.S. Consular Agent - Cancun
Blvd. Kukulcan Km 13 ZH
Torre La Europea, Despacho 301
Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Telephone: (011)(52)(999) 942-5700
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Merida.
Fax: (998) 883-1373
The U.S. Consular Agency in Cancun is open for business Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm. An appointment is required for all services.

U.S. Consular Agent - Cozumel
Plaza Villa Mar en El Centro, Plaza Principal, (Parque Juárez between Melgar and 5th Ave.)
2nd floor, Locales #8 and 9
Cozumel, QR. 77600
Telephone: (011)(52)(987) 872-4574
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Merida.
Fax: (52) (987) 872-6662

U.S. Consular Agent - Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo
Hotel Fontan
Blvd. Ixtapa s/n,
40880 Ixtapa, Gro.
Telephone: (011)(52)(755) 553-2100
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.
Fax: (52) (755) 553-2772

U.S. Consular Agent - Mazatlán
Playa Gaviotas No. 202
Zona Dorada
Mazatlán, Sinaloa 82110
Telephone: (011)(52)(818) 047-3145
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Hermosillo.
General Business hours: Monday thru Friday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.

U.S. Consular Agent - Oaxaca
Macedonio Alcala No. 407, Office 20
Oaxaca, Oax. 68000
Telephone: (011)(52)(951)514-3054 or (011)(52)(951) 516-2853
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.
Fax: (52) (951) 516-2701

U.S. Consular Agent - Piedras Negras
Abasolo #211, Local #3
26000 Piedras Negras, Coahuila
Telephone: (011)(52)(878) 782-5586 or (011)(52)(878) 782-8664
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Nuevo Laredo.
Fax: (52) (878) 782-8707
Monday-Friday: 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.

Playa del Carmen
(An extension of the Consulate in Merida)
Plaza Progreso, Local 33
Carretera Federal Puerto Juarez-Chetumal, Mz. 293 Lt. 1.
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo C.P. 77710
Phone: (52)(999)942-5700
E-mail: ConAgencyPlayadelC@state.gov

U.S. Consular Agent - Puerto Vallarta
Paseo de Los Cocoteros 85 Sur
Paradise Plaza - Local L-7
Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit C.P
Telephone: (011)(52)(322) 222-0069

U.S. Consular Agent - Reynosa
(Inside the Holiday Inn Hotel)
Calle Emilio Portes Gil #703
Colonia Prado Sur
Reynosa, México 88560
Telephone: (011)(52) (899)-921-6530
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Matamoros.
Fax: (899)-921-6531
General Business Hours for American Citizens: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

U.S. Consular Agent - San Luis Potosi
Edificio "Las Terrazas"
Ave. Venustiano Carranza 2076-41
Col. Polanco
San Luis Potosi, S.L.P., 78220
Telephone: (01-444) 811-7802 (from Mexico) / 011-52-444-811-7802 (from U.S.)
Emergency Telephone: (045-444) 829-9198 (from Mexico) or 011-52-1-444-829-9198 (from the United States)
Fax: (01-444) 811-7803 (from Mexico) / 011-52-444-811-7803 (from U.S.)
The Consular Agency is open to the public from 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM Monday through Friday except for U.S. and Mexican holidays.

U.S. Consular Agent - San Miguel de Allende
Dr. Hernandez Macías No. 72
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato
Telephone: (011)(52)(415) 152-2357
Emergency Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City.
Fax: (52) (415) 152-1588
Monday-Thursday: 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

Destination Description

See the State Department’s Fact Sheet on Mexico for more information on U.S.-Mexico relations. 

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Visit the Mexican National Institute of Migration’s (Instituto Nacional de Migración, INM) website (Spanish only) or the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, D.C. for the most current entry, exit, and visa requirements.

If you enter by land and plan to travel further than 25 kilometers into Mexico, you must stop at an INM office at the port of entry to obtain an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple - FMM), even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials. You will likely be asked to present this form at immigration checkpoints on your route of travel. You must present a valid passport in order to receive the entry permit. For more information, visit the INM website (Spanish only). If you enter by sea, review the Mexican boating permit requirements prior to travel or contact the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, D.C., for more information.

U.S. citizens should be aware that Mexican law permits Mexican immigration authorities to deny foreigners entry into Mexico if they have been charged with or convicted of a serious crime in Mexico or elsewhere.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents in Mexico.

INM requires a notarized consent document from one parent/legal guardian for all minors departing Mexico with only one parent. INM requires at least one parent complete a SAM (Formato de Salida de Menores) for all minors departing Mexico with a third party. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C., the nearest Mexican consulate, or INM for more information.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page.

Safety and Security

Travelers are urged to review the Mexico Travel Warning, which provides updated information about safety and security concerns affecting the country on a state-by-state basis.

U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Mexico should not expect to be protected by public health and safety standards similar to those in the United States. Even where such standards exist, enforcement may vary by location. Instead, travelers should mitigate risk of illness or injury by taking standard health and safety precautions.

The phone number to report emergencies in Mexico is “911”: Although there may be English-speaking operators available, it is best to seek the assistance of a Spanish speaker to place the call.

Crime: Crime in Mexico occurs at a high rate and can be violent. Street crime, ranging from pick-pocketing to armed robbery, carjackings, kidnapping, and extortion are serious problems in most major cities. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see high levels of violence and crime, though there are exceptions. See our Mexico Travel Warning for exceptions. 

See the Department of State and FBI pages for information on scams.

Credit/Debit Card “Skimming”: There have been instances of fraudulent charges or withdrawals from accounts due to “skimmed” cards. If you choose to use credit or debit cards, you should regularly check your account to ensure there are no unauthorized transactions. Whenever possible, travelers should watch service workers swipe their credit cards.

Victims of Crime: U.S. citizen victims of crime should contact the local authorities to file a Mexican police report before departing Mexico. In most instances, reports are filed formally with criminal investigators (Ministerio Público) and not police first responders. U.S. citizens should also inform the U.S. Embassy or the nearest consulate or consular agency. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

help you find appropriate medical care
assist you in reporting a crime to the police
contact relatives or friends with your written consent
explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
provide a list of local attorneys
provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
replace a stolen or lost passport

Alcohol: There have been allegations that consumption of unregulated alcohol has resulted in illness or blacking out. If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill. The Mexican Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risk (COFEPRIS) is responsible for investigating reports of unregulated alcohol and has the authority to inspect hotels, restaurants, or other establishments for health violations, including concerns about alcohol. Please email COFEPRIS at contactociudadano@cofepris.gob.mx with any questions. Additionally, you should notify the American Citizen Services unit at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City or the nearest U.S. Consulate, or you may contact the U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747.

Demonstrations: Demonstrations are common in all parts of Mexico. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Protesters in Mexico may block traffic on roads, including major thoroughfares, or take control of toll booths on highways. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid demonstration areas and to exercise caution if near any protests. Travelers who encounter protesters demanding unofficial tolls are generally allowed to pass upon payment. U.S. citizens should avoid participating in demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by authorities, as Mexican law prohibits political activities by foreigners and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation.

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy or Consulates for assistance.

Sexual Assault: Rape and sexual assault are serious problems in some resort areas. Many of these incidents occur at night or during the early morning hours, in hotel rooms, on deserted beaches, and may follow the drugging of drinks. Pay attention to your surroundings. If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.

Drug Smuggling: Mexican criminal organizations are engaged in a violent struggle to control trafficking routes. Criminal organizations have targeted unsuspecting individuals who regularly cross the border as a way to smuggle drugs to the United States. Frequent border crossers are advised to vary their routes and travel times, and to closely monitor their vehicles to avoid being targeted.

For further information:

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
Call us in Washington at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
See the State Department’s travel website for Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
See Traveler’s Checklist for useful travel tips.

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or nearest U.S. consulate immediately. The Mexican government is required by international law to contact the U.S. Embassy or consulate promptly when a U.S. citizen is arrested, if the arrestee so requests. This requirement does not apply to dual nationals. See our webpage for further information.

Firearms and Other Weapons: Weapon laws in Mexico vary by state, but it is generally illegal for travelers to carry firearms, knives, daggers, brass knuckles, ammunition (even used shells), or weapons of any kind. Illegal firearms trafficking from the United States to Mexico is a major problem, and the Department of State warns all U.S. citizens against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico. If you are caught entering Mexico with firearms or ammunitions, you will be imprisoned. Visit the Department’s Traveling Abroad with Firearms webpage, the Mexican Secretary of Defense page (Spanish only), and the Mexican Customs page (Spanish only) for further information. For additional information about importing hunting weapons or ammunition into Mexico, contact ANGADI (Asociación Nacional de Ganaderos Diversificados Criadores de Fauna, Spanish only) at info@angadi.org.mx. For more information on firearms and ammunition issues in English, contact the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, D.C.

Vessels entering Mexican waters with firearms or ammunition on board must have a permit previously issued by a Mexican embassy or consulate.

Surrogacy: As of January 14, 2016, it is illegal for foreigners to take part in a surrogacy contract in Mexico. Foreigners who engage in a surrogacy contract may face criminal charges in Mexico. Additionally, the Tabasco civil registry has stopped issuing birth certificates to children born through surrogacy to foreigners. Without a birth certificate, children may not be able to receive a U.S. passport to leave Mexico.

Real Estate and Time Shares: U.S. citizens should exercise caution when considering time-share investments or purchasing real estate and be aware of the aggressive tactics used by some sales representatives. Mexican law allows time-share purchasers five days to cancel the contract for unconditional and full reimbursement. U.S. citizens should consult with a Mexican attorney before undertaking a real estate purchase or time-share investment to learn about important regulations and law that govern real estate property. For more information, visit the Federal Attorney’s Office of Consumer website.

Drugs and Prescription Medications: Carrying any form of marijuana into Mexico, even if it is accompanied by a prescription or medical marijuana license, is a Mexican federal offense and considered as international drug trafficking. Offenders can expect large fines and/or jail sentences of up to 25 years.

For a list of controlled substances in Mexico, visit the Federal Commission for the Protection Against Sanitary Risk website (Spanish only) and the Mexican Drug Schedule list (Spanish only). U.S. citizens are advised to carry a copy of your prescription or doctor’s letter, but it is still possible that you may be subject to arrest for arriving to Mexico with substances on these lists. Note that medicines considered “over the counter” in the United States may be a controlled substance in Mexico. For example, pseudoephedrine, the active ingredient in Sudafed, is considered a controlled substance in Mexico. For more information, contact the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C.

Importing Medicines into Mexico: Visit the Mexican Health Department website (Spanish only) or contact the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C., for more information about obtaining a permit to import medicine into Mexico.

Mountain Climbing and Hiking: The Mexican government has declared the area around the Popocatepetl and the Colima volcanoes off limits. In remote rural areas, there can be limited cell phone coverage and internet connectivity.

Storm Season: Tropical storms in the Gulf of Mexico or along the Caribbean and Pacific Coast between May and November can produce heavy winds and rain. Please visit our Hurricane Season webpage for more information.

Potential for Natural Disasters: Mexico is in an active earthquake zone. Tsunamis may occur following significant earthquakes. For information concerning disasters, see:

U.S. Embassy Mexico City website
Civil Protection (Protección Civil)(Spanish only) provides information from the Mexican Government about natural disaster preparedness
U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides general information about natural disaster preparedness.
U.S. Geological Survey provides updates on recent seismic and volcanic activity.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Resort Areas and Spring Break: Millions of U.S. citizens visit Mexican beach resorts each year, especially during “spring break” season. The legal drinking age in Mexico is 18.

Warning flags on beaches should be taken seriously. If black or red warning flags are up, do not enter the water. U.S. citizens have drowned or disappeared at Mexican beaches and are advised not to swim alone.

Boats used for excursions sometimes lack adequate life jackets, radios, and tools to make repairs, and may not be covered by accident insurance.

LGBTI Travelers: U.S. citizens should exercise discretion in identifying themselves publicly as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Intersex (LGBTI). See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of the Department of State’s Human Rights report for further details.

Persons with Mobility Issues: U.S. citizens with disabilities should consult individual hotels and facilities in advance of travel to ensure they are accessible. Mexican law prohibits discrimination against persons with physical, sensory, intellectual, and mental disabilities in employment, education, air travel, and other transportation, access to health care, and the provision of other services. Please visit our Traveling with Disabilities webpage for more information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report and Faith-Based Travel Information.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Excellent health facilities are available in Mexico City and other major cities, but training and availability of emergency responders may be below U.S. standards. Mexican facilities often require payment “up front” prior to performing a procedure. Hospitals in Mexico do not accept U.S. health insurance or Medicare/Medicaid. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage. You should consider supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation. A list of doctors and hospitals is available on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.

U.S. citizens have lodged a large number of complaints about unethical business practices, prices, and collection measures against some of the private hospitals in Cancun, the Maya Riviera, and Cabo San Lucas. Travelers should make efforts to obtain complete information on billing, pricing, and proposed medical procedures before agreeing to any medical care in these locations. Be aware that some resorts have exclusive agreements with medical providers, which may limit your choices in seeking emergency medical attention.

The U.S. Government does not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Water Quality: In many areas in Mexico, tap water is not potable. Bottled water and beverages are safe, although you should be aware that many restaurants and hotels serve tap water unless bottled water is specifically requested. Be aware that ice for drinks may be made using tap water.

Altitude: Many cities in Mexico, such as Mexico City, are at high altitude, which can lead to altitude illness. Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information about Altitude Illness.

The following diseases are prevalent:

Zika Virus
Chikungunya Fever
Dengue Fever

Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For further health information, go to:

World Health Organization
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Travel & Transportation

U.S. driver’s licenses are valid in Mexico. Mexican law requires that only owners drive their vehicles, or that the owner be inside the vehicle. Mexican insurance is required for all vehicles, including rental vehicles. Mexican liability insurance is recommended in the event of a vehicle accident. Driving under the influence of alcohol, using a mobile device while driving, and driving through a yellow light are all illegal in Mexico.

If you drive your vehicle into Mexico 20-25 km south of the border (the area varies in the state of Sonora, for more information see the Mexican Customs Solo Sonora website – Spanish only), you must apply for a temporary vehicle import permit with Mexican Customs, BANJERCITO, or at some Mexican Consulates in the United States. The permit requires the presentation of a valid passport and a monetary deposit that will be returned to you upon leaving Mexico before the expiration of the permit. Failing to apply for a temporary vehicle import permit may lead to impoundment. For more information, see the Mexican Customs website (English version).

Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of U.S. citizen deaths. If you have an emergency while driving, dial “911.” If you are driving on a toll highway (“cuota”) or any other major highway, you may contact the Green Angels (Angeles Verdes website – Spanish only), a fleet of trucks with bilingual crews, at (01) (55) 5250-8221.

Road Conditions and Safety: Avoid driving on Mexican highways at night. Travelers should exercise caution at all times and should use toll (“cuota”) roads rather than the less secure “free” (“libre”) roads whenever possible. Do not hitchhike or accept rides from or offer rides to strangers anywhere in Mexico.

Vehicular traffic in Mexico City is restricted daily, according to the license plate number, in order to reduce air pollution. For additional information, refer to the Hoy No Circula website (Spanish only) maintained by the Mexico City government.

Please refer to our Road Safety Page for more information. Also, we suggest you visit Mexico’s national tourist office website, MexOnline, and Mexico’s Customs website Importación Temporal de Vehículos for more information regarding travel and transportation. 

Public Transportation/Taxis: When possible, travel by bus only during daylight hours and only in first-class. Robberies and assaults on passengers in taxis not affiliated with a taxi stand (“libre” taxis) are common. Avoid taking any taxi not summoned by telephone or contacted in advance, including “libre” taxis. When in need of a taxi, telephone a radio taxi or “sitio” (regulated taxi stand), and ask the dispatcher for the driver’s name and the taxi’s license plate number. Application-based car services such as Uber are available in many larger Mexican cities, though these services have sometimes had violent conflicts with local taxi unions and, in some cases, U.S. citizens have been injured.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Mexico’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Mexico’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA safety assessment page.

Maritime Safety Oversight: The Mexican maritime industry, including charter fishing and recreational vessels, is subject solely to Mexican safety regulations. Travelers should be aware that Mexican equipment and vessels may not meet U.S. safety standards or be covered by any accident insurance.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Mexico should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at www.marad.dot.gov/msci. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings website under “broadcast warnings”.

Upper Iowa University Upper Iowa University - Education Abroad